How Can HG Coaching Change my Life?
HG Coaching is a process to help you better understand how your mind works and provide a path forward, so you can build a life that helps you achieve your goals. This program is not meant to diagnose mental illness, prescribe medication, or be used for urgent health crisis. Coaching is not therapy nor a substitute for therapy, and coaches are not therapists.
HG Coaches have a proven track record of increasing self-worth and motivation while decreasing feelings of depression and anxiety. We use an evidenced approach that promotes personal growth and sustainable change. Every single coach is hand selected and certified through Dr. K’s expert curriculum.
What is Coaching and How is it Different from Therapy?
Coaching and therapy are often confused with each other, but therapy is quite different from coaching.
- Therapists, typically psychologists and psychiatrists, are trained to diagnose and treat clinical issues. They know how to administer appropriate treatment programs.
- Therapists help their clients overcome clinical illnesses such as bipolar disorder, clinical depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc.
- Psychiatrists can also use tools such as medication along with talk-therapy to manage clinical illnesses.
- Therapists generally don’t have personal, lived experience of their client’s issues. However, they rely on their psychiatric and psychological training to assist their clients and patients.
- Therapy can run from anywhere between 3 months to several years, depending on the client’s problems and needs.
- Mental health coaches generally do not deal with clinical issues such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia. They also cannot handle acute suicidality, as that requires intervention from a trained mental health professional.
- Coaches use evidence-based techniques such as reflective listening and motivational interviewing. They may also use techniques from clinical tools such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), although what they do is not CBT or ACT.
- Coaches tend to work on present-day issues, occasionally touch on the past, and build towards the future.
- Coaching tends to be a shorter-term intervention vs therapy, even though it can take place over months.
What Kinds of Issues Can Coaching Help With?
Mental Health Coaching is useful when you feel stuck in life. If you have any of the following issues, it can be worth giving coaching a try:
- Unclear life purpose
- Lack of motivation
- Excessive procrastination
- Excessive or problematic technology habits
- Relationship issues
Keep in mind that you could feel stuck in life because of mental illness, such as clinical depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc.
How are the Healthy Gamer Coaches certified?
HG Coaches are trained and certified through Dr. K's curriculum. It is designed around the unique way that gamers think, behave, and succeed. HG Coaches help their clients understand their minds to remove barriers and take action towards a fulfilling life.
Dr. K’s certification program combines perspectives on mental health and wellness to give Healthy Gamer Coaches multiple tools to approach your challenges.
Coaches get trained for over ten weeks. Their training comprises of two weeks of lecturing, and eight weeks of supervised coaching.
What Skills do Healthy Gamer Coaches Have?
Some of the skills that Healthy Gamer Coaches get trained with are:
- Reflective Listening
- Addiction 101
- Mental Health Education
- Motivational Interviewing
- Cultural Competency
- Wellness Support
- Responsibility for Clients
- and more!
Healthy Gamer Coaches are authentic, compassionate, and they are present to support their clients.
What can I expect from HG Coaching?
HG's digital platform bridges the gap in mental health with affordable, accessible coaching that is at the forefront of psychological research. Where some clinical approaches only see patients, and tech companies only see users, HG sees people.
While every coaching experience varies, the vast majority of clients experience:
- an increased sense of self-awareness,
- ability to set boundaries,
- ability to create work that is personally fulfilling,
- increased self-esteem,
- healthier personal and professional relationships,
- resiliency from criticism/rejection/setbacks,
- ability to anticipate and manage stress
We use IRB approved research studies to measure the impact that HG Coaching has on people's lives, and collect direct feedback from coaching clients to continuously improve our program.
After 20 weeks of HG 1-on-1 coaching, clients experienced:*
- 58% improvement in sense of life purpose.
- 45% reduction in feelings of anxiety.
- 35% decrease in feelings of depression.
After 16 weeks of hg group coaching, clients experienced:*
- 58% improvement in sense of life purpose.
- 35% decrease in feelings of anxiety.
- 27% decrease in feelings of depression.
After 8 weeks of HG Career Coaching, clients experienced:*
- 35% decrease in feelings of depression related to their job
- 25% decrease in feelings of anxiety related to their job
- 25% increase in confidence in their career trajectory
* Data from IRB approved coaching outcomes research study.
What Kind of Coaching Should I Sign Up For?
We offer Group Coaching and 1-on-1 Coaching, both of which are successful formats and have different advantages. Learn more below!
In 1-on-1 coaching, you’ll move at your own pace to tackle your unique challenges. The focus is on you, and understanding how your brain works. You and your coach will develop strategies to help you grow and move forward with confidence.
Here's why 1-on-1 coaching works:
- Overcome your unique challenges
- Dedicate time to understanding your emotions
- Recognize and learn from your past experiences
- Build better habits and grow at your own pace
You will meet with a Healthy Gamer coach weekly for 1-on-1 sessions (50 minutes) where they will ask questions, dig into the emotions behind your behavior, provide more context about how external/internal factors affect your mindset, discover links about how external/internal factors affect your mindset, and provide support towards reaching your goals.
In group coaching, you can build up your mental health by tackling general issues with a coach and 6 others. Together, you’ll build the support you need to make a positive change in your lives.
Here’s why group coaching works:
- Gain insight from multiple, diverse perspectives
- Grow in a supportive environment led by your coach
- Learn to recognize your agency and take accountability
- Develop and sharpen your social skills with authentic conversation
You will meet with a Healthy Gamer coach and up to 6 other people in weekly sessions (90 minutes) where you will be guided to ask questions, dig into the emotions behind your behavior, provide more context about how external/internal factors affect your mindset, discover links about how external/internal factors affect your mindset, and provide support towards reaching your goals. In the group format, participants will engage in listening and compassion for other group members and receive compassionate feedback from others as well.
Career Coaching can help you reach your goals. We aren’t here to tell you to quit your job, or tell you to suck it up. We’re here to navigate your unique situation with a perspective on mental wellness to help you build the career of your dreams.
- Manage burnout from being overwhelmed or overworked
- Build and sustain the motivation you need to achieve your goals
- Sharpen communication skills for better relationships
- Find fulfillment in your work life and beyond
You’ll tackle common issues like feeling overwhelmed, butting heads with coworkers or management, uncertainty about your career path, and desires to do more with your life.
Got a question?
If you have more questions, check out our Frequently Asked Questions!