Is the Healthy Gamer Family Support Program Right For Me?
Over 8 million families struggle with excessive gaming. Many psychological factors are at play including fundamental needs for adolescents who can be “bored” by everyday life:
- Competition, or the drive to be exceptional at something
- Community, or the need for social support
- Challenge, or the need for intellectual stimulation
With rapidly evolving trends in today’s culture, it’s hard to keep track of what your kids are learning. It can feel like you’re always trying to catch up to them.
Moreover, excessive gaming can make children disengage from their school work and physical health. This is only exacerbated by COVID-19 quarantine. Children can throw frequent tantrums, don’t listen to their parents, and sometimes even engage in violent and aggressive behavior. They may have poor eating habits and resort to lying to escape punishments. It is tiring to have to deal with all of that on a regular basis.
Additionally, parents may experience information overload from all the one-size-fits-all parenting advice out there. It can be overwhelming to try to figure out what works and what doesn’t. Moreover, it is hard to figure out what the right thing to do is. It can be lonely and isolating.
Some of the most common challenges that parents face these days are:
- Regulating their kids’ online and gaming habits.
- Managing their child’s expectations.
- Setting and enforcing fair boundaries.
- Dealing with unexpected resistance from their child.
- Creating the best possible environment for the child’s growth.
If you check off any of these, you are the perfect candidate for Healthy Gamer Parent Coaching.
Mental health for young people has been failing. It’s expensive. The average therapist is 50 years old. Meanwhile, peer coaching solutions are both affordable and effective. As we move back to in-school learning, we can support parents trying to reshape gaming behaviors.
Who is the Family Support Program For?
The Healthy Gamer Family Support Program is ideal for parents who are wanting to reshape gaming behavior for teens 13-18 years old. We know the struggle because we’ve lived it. If you are experiencing the following, this program is for you.
- Fight with your teen daily to come down for dinner
- Sometimes don’t see your teen for an entire weekend
- Unplug your teen’s computer instead of having a conversation
- Suspect deeper mental health issues at play
- Wonder what effects staying up late is having on your teen’s health
- Argue more than discuss
- Think your child is wasting his/her (above average) intellect
How We Can Uniquely Support Parents
Dr. Kanojia developed Healthy Gamer to be the solution to the needs of the internet generation. Healthy Gamer has helped thousands of gamers to overcome the unique challenges of our generation such as video game addiction, lack of motivation, excessive procrastination, lack of fulfilling relationships, and more.
Healthy Gamer Coaching is an evidence-based solution that gets results. We’ve worked with over 2,500 clients who rate their sessions 4.7 out of 5 on average. Our clients have experienced:
- 45% improvement in feelings of anxiety.
- 47% improvement in feelings of depression.
- 32% improvement in sense of life purpose
- 25 % improvement in sense of control.
Our Family Support Program aims to help parents work with their children by adapting many of our effective strategies for the appropriate adolescent development stage. Healthy Gamer’s approach tackles the psychological factors that contribute to excessive gaming.
Additionally, regular parent counseling services can charge anywhere between $75 to $200 per hour. Moreover, they may not understand issues like video game addiction, social media and internet usage, etc.
Moreover, the Healthy Family Support Program is affordable — it costs $50/week.
Who Leads the Family Support Program?
Dr. Alok Kanojia, co-founder and president of Healthy Gamer.
Dr. Alok Kanojia, also known as “Dr. K”, is a Harvard-trained psychiatrist specializing in mental health for the gaming community. At 22 years old, he was failing out of college due to excessive gaming and now leverages the tools of the internet to help gamers take control of their lives. Dr. K brings the best of evidence-based psychiatry, complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), and his own understanding and experiences as part of the internet generation to create a unique approach to mental health.
Along with training some of the brightest psychiatrists in the world at Harvard Medical School, he personally trains and supervises all Healthy Gamer Coaches. Healthy Gamer Coaches are peer supporters who undergo 10 weeks of training to successfully identify pain points and lead conversations to uncover emotional barriers to progress.
Additionally, he is the President and co-founder of Healthy Gamer, a mental health platform that provides content, coaching, and community resources to help young people take control of their mental health and their lives. When he’s off-duty, he’s probably watching Dota 2 or telling stories about dragons to his 2 daughters.
Learn Effective Strategies for Change
Dr. K giving a talk on video game addiction.
Each week, Dr. K Kanojia will lead a 1-hour workshop followed by a 30-minute Q&A session. You will learn essential skills for creating healthy gaming habits:
- Managing your child’s expectations.
- Setting and enforcing fair, effective boundaries.
- Dealing with resistance from your child.
- Approaching your child’s psychology based on their age.
- Understanding and regulating their online and gaming habits.
- Managing your own feelings as a parent.
- Adapting your approach for autism, ADHD, mood disorders, or substance use.
Get Help Putting Strategies into Practice
You will also gain access to a weekly parent support group led by a Healthy Gamer Coach. Moreover, the group will discuss workshop topics and develop strategies together in a supportive and collaborative environment. All Healthy Gamer Coaches are trained and supervised by Dr. Kanojia.